CSA members have a heavy hand in helping us change our food system one farm at a time. We need more people to join a CSA as this is the best way to make positive changes immediately, supporting the many small local farmers so they can continue to grow healthy food and give us better choices. We love what we do and seeing our members picking up their food with smiles on their faces really grabs our hearts and helps us know that we are doing the right thing and that it is important to create the changes that are needed. We know CSAs are not very convenient for many people. We see the sacrifices members make and prioritize to support local/eat healthy while building community and this is very important and says a lot about one’s strong/good character. CSA members stand out as some of the best people we know.
We hope you will consider joining for the Fall/Winter and will share our info along with all yor contacts, as we have lots of exciting products coming and we love the Fall food!
Our 2015/16 Fall/Winter CSA Farm Shares are now available to JOIN online for Eastern Market and Patriot’s Plaza pickup locations. Details are pending for potential drop-sites. We need a host for Petworth. Read carefully for details, discounts, other ways to save, and more.
What to Expect/Changes:
1. New season starts October 20th, 2015 for both weekly and Bi-weekly shares, running 22 weeks long (11 for bi-weekly people) ending March 22nd, 2016. There will be a 2 week winter holiday break. Last share before holiday is 12/22/15, starting again 1/5/2016.
2. We also offer a 6x flex share, perfect for those who travel extensively, or who have an unpredictable schedule. If you are moving mid-season, this may be for you. This must be ordered OFF-LINE and is manually administered – Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for info. Rates for the shares are the same.
1. Member fees: have dropped due to lower gas prices (hopefully they stay low). It is now $80 weekly, $40 bi-weekly, for the full season, and is pro-rated if you join later. This member fee is charged separately from your CSA food charges, which is what you pay for online. Member fee covers all delivery costs, including gas, labor + admin – all the costs to get your share’s food picked up from all the farms, packed and delivered, other than the cost of food. Member fee is charged shortly after you join, to the card on file or if you wish, via check or cash. We tried to get this automated, but as our shares have a lot of moving parts for flexibility, we are unable to do so at this time. If you have questions or concerns email Suzi, or chat with Mark at pickup. The member fee is waived for those who sign up for a FULL share package (produce, meat, dairy, bread) and pay in full at time of purchase.
2. Paid in Full Discount: A 5% discount is offered for ANY share paid in full, at time of purchase for whole season. This includes the FULL share package (produce, meat, dairy, bread) as well as all stand alone shares, produce, dairy, or meat. This code is UPFRONT.
3. Military Discount: 10% discount is offered for active military, or veterans. Thank you for your service. This discount can’t be combined with other discounts. Email for this discount code. Use this code, as opposed to UPFRONT for the better rate.
4. F2F CSA credits – If you have credit with us, your credit will roll over to this season. Upon signing up for your share, the software will pull from any existing credit first, then charges your card for the balance. You can check your credit from your dashboard, or email if you need help or have questions.
5. Referral Rewards/FREE FOOD! Once you are a member you can participate in Referral Rewards. You will receive $25 credit for each NEW member you refer; there is no limit to the number of people you can refer. These credits can be used towards shares and a la carte shopping. When referring, tell your folks to write your name in the “how did you hear about us” question at check out. It is also more fun to have friends and family doing the CSA.
6. New Pantry – We will be adding more local artisan dry goods this season to supplement the fewer fruits and veggies over the winter. These items support our local food system/businesses, support food security via storage and preservation, are often value added from an earlier harvest, and provide year round income for our farmers and vendors. You will always be able to opt out. Our members have truly enjoyed these items in past years, and have many new favorites. If you have specific allergies or preferences, i.e. no nuts or grains, let us know, and we will make that note to send you an alternate, or double up on a produce item. Some examples are: sauerkrauts/fermented vegetables, local grains like black beans, grits, polenta, Indian cornmeal, flours, granola, nut butters, peanuts, apple butter, pasta, jams, jellies, honey, maple syrup, sorghum molasses, sweet breads and more. We are very excited about these products.
7. Online ordering: We will be expanding our a la carte pre order online store. You can order anything we have online by Friday, 6pm, before your delivery day. We also bring a selection of add on items that you can purchase at pickup.
8. Holiday meats – We will again be offering holiday meats for Thanksgiving/Christmas/New Years etc. (or anytime throughout the season) we will send out pre-order info. These include heritage turkeys, loins, roasts, and more specialty meats. We usually need 2-3 weeks notice depending on availability.
10. Gift certificates: These are available for purchase for CSA shares, or for dollar amount to use a la carte. This is a great way to introduce our CSA to friends and family. As a member you will receive a 10% discount on any gift certificates you purchase. Email for info.
11. Hosting: We are always looking for new drop sites, and we do need someone to cover Petworth this winter. If you are interested in hosting a drop site, we need 10 people to start a drop. All host receive a free share. Email for info, or chat with Mark.
Let us know if you have questions or concerns. We can send our electronic brochure for sharing, or see Mark at pickup for flyers. We appreciate your help in getting the word out about our CSA. Many of you have been great ambassadors and we appreciate all the support! We can’t continue this without you!
We are so grateful for your membership, and for your support of your local food system. Your membership supports on average 40 different farmers and vendors during a season, and helps them to continue doing what they do.
Suzi + Mark Lilly