We are very excited about the new Fall/Winter CSA season and hope you are too! We want to make sure that everyone understands that we are NOT starting the CSA this coming week as previously planned, but instead will be starting next week.
We had many delaying issues including wet, wet, weather which made it necessary for us to start next week. More info will be forthcoming on the schedule and drop sites, so stay posted! Please let us know if you have questions about anything, or concerns about the delay in starting.
STILL TIME TO JOIN!
There is still time to join for this coming season if you have not signed up, are still on the fence, or have friends and neighbors who are interested. Slots are still open. Our new online membership management tool makes it easy to manage your shares and pay online. We do offer flexibility, mid-season sign up, hold options, donations, payment plans and the ability to join using credit/debit, check, cash and EBT/Food Stamps. Please forward our CSA info and sign up to friends, family and co-workers.
We are currently working on some drop sites that include, or may not yet appear, on the website. We are open to more dropsites – a minimum of 5 people are needed to make it viable. If you are interested contact us at email@example.com
PICKUPS/DROP SITES *= pending
- George Washington University (student 10% discount)*
- Allison StreetNW DC*
- Falls Church, VA*
- Eastern Market
- Andrews Air Force Base
RICHMOND and AREA
- Home Delivery within city limits and 1 mile radius outside
- Farm to Family Market (drop only)
- Glenside Drive *
- VCU/Fan * (Student 10% discount)
- Church Hill *
- Southside/Westover Hills/Forest Hills *
- New Kent/Patriots Landing *
- Mechanicsville/Ash Creek *
- Lakeside *
- Brandermill/Midlothian *
- Chester/Hopewell Petersburg/Ft. Lee/VSU (student 10% discount) *
- Randolph Macon College/Ashland (10% student discount) *
- Fredericksburg *
Want to be a host in the above area or add a dropsite? Sponsor a drop at your home, office, church or gym — 5 person minimum needed – for every 5 people who join, you receive a free option. Get 15 people to join, and you get a complete option — FREE! Contact us for more info.
We have a number of ways you can save money, get great food, and support local farmers and economy:
- Previous members automatically receive a 5% loyalty renewal discount (can’t be combined with any other discount) as our Thank You.
- We offer a one time 10% discount for anyone who signs up for a FULL PACKAGE (includes meat, dairy, veg bread) and pays in full up front.
- We offer a one time 10% discount for active/former military (we’ll need to see proof).
- ACTIVE STUDENTS!! We offer a one time 10% discount for University/College drop members (minimum 5 students needed per drop.)
- We offer a $25 referral credit (or cash) for anyone you refer who signs up.
- Sponsor a drop at your home, office, church or gym — 5 person minimum needed – for every 5 people who join, you receive a free option. Get 15 people to join, and you get a complete option — FREE!
Many thanks again! Please let us know if you have questions, comments or concerns.
Mark + Suzi Lilly
804-397-7337 Mark Cell
Early Bird Special – ENDED!
But you can sign up for Fall/Winter NOW!
Hurry! This special offer is only available for 24 hours from Thursday, September 12- Friday, September 13.
Farm to Family is offering $240 off to all CSA members investing in a FULL share (value $2,400) for this upcoming winter season. (Biweekly is $120 off) Offer only valid for memberships paid in full.
2013 Spring/Summer CSA Farm Shares are available for chefs, restaurants, food trucks and caterers in the Richmond and Washington, DC areas.Our program runs for 24 weeks and begins on Wednesday, April 10th with weekly/bi-weekly shares available. This share is perfect for kitchens who are committed to local, Farm to Table operations, or for those who are looking to integrate more local items into their menu. Local items are perfect for daily specials. Shares will change every time depending on what is available and seasonal. See our Chef Shares page for in-depth info on our professional CSA program.
What might you get in your share? Download this seasonal chart from the Virginia Department of Agriculture to see what is typical. Please note that this chart is by no means inclusive, doesn’t account for Mother Nature and doesn’t include available items grown in hoophouses or greenhouses which may transcend the typical mid-Atlantic growing season (salad greens, sprouts, tomatoes, herbs, greens, mushrooms, cucumbers etc.)
Please support our local farmers and Farm to Family. Together we can make positive changes to our food system, create local resiliency, educate our youth, create jobs and eat healthier. A portion of our Chef CSA sales will be donated to our NPO BUSFARM and urban farm project, and opportunities for you to get involved by do cooking demos/videos, sharing recipes and participating in other educational activities will be available. Thanks for your support!
JOIN NOW! Download DC CHEFS Spring 2013 CSA Brochure.
SEASONAL PRODUCE – Vegetables and fruit items are a mix from local farms using organic or natural farming methods (low spray, integrative pest control, etc). Your CHEF CSA shares will be comprised of seasonal vegetables and fruits. Farmers that we work with and items that are currently in season are here. If you would like more of a particular item that week let us know a week in advance please i.e. flats of tomatoes or raspberries, boxes of greens etc. We are happy to do special orders; other wise we will give you a good variety of everything that is local and seasonal. We will do our best to source for you whatever it is you are looking for. Shares are available in Small, Medium and Large to suit your needs, and we allow flexibility in your share.
MEAT – grass-fed, pastured meats- chicken, beef, pork, bison, lamb, goat, oysters/clams, trout and more. All meat is humanely raised on small farms without the use of hormones or antibiotics.
DAIRY - whole milk, cream, raw cheeses, goat chevre, yogurt (plain, Greek or kefir), cultured butter and pastured eggs.
SOY- tofu, tempeh, vegan sausage.
GLUTEN FREE/VEGAN - breads, bagels, cupcakes, cookies, pie-crusts, pizza crusts, baking mixes and other items are available, pre-ordered.
PANTRY STAPLES - Many other local A la Carte pantry staples are also available upon request – jams, honey, maple syrup, sorghum molasses, spice blends, wheat berries, flours, corn meal, baking mixes and more.
Questions? Just call Mark at 804-397-7337 or email chefshares (@) thefarmbus (dot) com
We are now accepting applications for the Spring/Summer CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) Farm Shares in Richmond, VA, Washington, DC (Capitol Hill at Eastern Market/NW at Maret School) and surrounding areas to start the 2nd week of April running 24 weeks (6 months) through September.
Our CSA Farm Share program is a versatile, flexible program that includes locally produced food options, payment plans, and open enrollment/pro-rated join-anytime membership. Bi-weekly/weekly frequency will vary with location site and interest. Check out our dropsites on this map which include metro DC, Richmond, NoVa, Northern Neck, New Kent, Chesterfield and more. Note that not all sites are confirmed, as we need 10 members per site to make it work, so let us know your interest/commitment ASAP! For more info on our CSA Farm Shares, to download an application and join, visit our CSA page.
We work with notable farms/producers like Polyface Farms, Mt Vernon Farms, Prospect Farm, Edmond’s Farm, Mt. View Farm, Goats r Us, Old Church Creamery, Green Fence Farm, Pampatike Organic Farm, Promise Land Pastures, Tuckahoe Lamb and Cattle Company, Sausage Craft, Agriberry and Twin Oaks along with our own non-profit urban farm and agricultural educational center, BusFarm. Your CSA farm share directly supports BusFarm. See BusFarm in action!
We are EBT, vegan, gluten-free, paleo, WAPF and food allergy friendly. We offer payment plans. Got an issue? Ask us and we’ll see if we can accommodate you! We donate missed pickups (without prior arrangements) to needy families. You can also sponsor a family for one time, or the whole season. Contact us for info on being a sponsor.
- Seasonal produce – locally grown on small farms with no to minimum sprays, pesticides. Some of our farms have organic certifications, but others choose to grow with organic methods, without certification.
- Grass-fed/pastured meats like beef, pork, bison, trout, oysters/clams, lamb, sausage, chicken. No hormones, antibiotics and we work with small, humane family farms.
- Grass-fed dairy with milk, butter, yogurt, cheeses from Mountain View, Goats R Us, Old Church Creamery. No hormones, antibiotics and we work with small, humane family farms.
- Package — Fondly called “The Whole SheBang” by our long-time members, this includes produce, meat, dairy (including eggs) and bread. Purchase and pre-pay the package, and receive a discount.
- Bread/Gluten Free Bread
- Dog Treats
- Body Care
- a la carte items like honey, jam, baked goods, and more are available
Want to see what you might get in your share? Check out these pictures!
Get Involved/Earn Free Food — Be a Drop Site
Want to get involved and earn free food by hosting a drop-site at your home, worksite, church or community center? Contact us for more info. Recruit friends, family, neighbors, church members and co-workers to make it happen. Create community! Eat fresh, local, healthy food!
BE HAPPY! EAT LOCAL!
For more info on our CSA Farm Shares, or to download an application and join, visit our CSA page.