We will have Christmas trees and wreaths this week – If you would like, please email me. Otherwise, it is luck of the draw!
Mark is looking to rent warehouse space in DC 500-1500 Sq feet. email him Mark@thefarmbus.com.
This week will be the last week of our Wednesday Patriot’s Plaza Market and CSA drop. The building has new owners, and we have unsuccessfully been trying to negotiate an affordable rent from them. We hope to return in the Spring. We will miss all of you, and are so grateful for your support and patronage. Patriots Plaza people will be shifted to the Tuesday, Eastern Market drop, 4-7pm. If you are unable to make this, and have not yet let me know, please do this right away. Thank you for your continued membership and flexibility with this unavoidable situation.
I will be starting a new job this week, my first corporate job in 20 years, so a HUGE life change for me. This means I will be checking emails during breaks on CSA day, and blocking work. If you have an urgent situation on CSA day, please text Mark at 804-397-7337 as I will not be able to check my phone during work except breaks.
This is the last drop of the year for many of you, and we wish you very Happy Holidays. We are grateful for your membership and have loved getting to know you and your family this winter. Next week, 12/20 will be the last drop for most of our weekly folks (put shares on hold if you are traveling!) and then we are on holiday, returning January 3 for all of you. Everyone is welcome to come next week and shop. If you want to order an extra share of anything, please email me so I can make sure to add you in the count.
Mark will have a truck load of maple syrup, apple butter, Wade’s Mill speciality mixes, honey, our Love + Gratitude jams and other pantry items that make great gifts.
Here’s what is in the share:
- young local ginger – I grate this into everything, including salad.
- hydroponic local tomatoes (treat!)
- bibb lettuce
- sunflower microgreens (treat!) – add them to a salad or sandwich, or just eat them as a snack.
- Wade’s Mill corncake pancake mix – These are so good! Wade’s Mill, located in Raphine, VA, is 270 years old and was recently sold. We are so glad the new owners are carrying on the stone ground grains and are glad to be able to work with them. Here’s a news story on the new owners with pictures of the Mill. It is a super cool place, and has a neat store, so visit if you are in that area.
- Maple Syrup – Southernmost Maple (Mike Puffenberger and family) are in Bolar, VA and also do apple butter, maple sausage and that crazy good BBQ we send you. Mike and his family have been friends with Mark’s family for over 30 years and was one of our first farmers on board the Farm Bus when we started. We are grateful that they saw Mark’s vision and we LOVE what they do.
- Edmonds Farm bison chuck roast – this is a treat. Cook it like you would a beef pot roast. This secret is to thoroughly brown the meat on all sides when you start your prep so it has a nice crust on it – that ensures your meat will be tender, juicy and flavorful. Here is a beer braised version, with fresh rosemary and thyme. Chuck roast, whether beef or bison, are one of the most economical cuts of meat, and super delicious. You can modify any beef recipe for your bison. I love to make bison bourgognone also!!! Good luck and enjoy!