- SERVINGS 4
- 2 medium fennel bulbs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, for dredging
- 1 1/2 cups fresh bread crumbs, for dredging
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt, plus more for seasoning
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, plus more for seasoning
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups Green Pasture coconut oil, just enough to yield about 1/4 inch in the pan
- Remove tops and fronds from fennel bulbs. Slice each bulb in half widthwise. Cut each half into slices about 1/8 inch thick.
- Pour flour into a medium bowl and bread crumbs into another. Season with the salt and pepper. Crack eggs into a third bowl; whisk until frothy. Season with salt and pepper. Dredge fennel lightly in flour, then in egg, and then in bread crumbs, shaking off excess after each step.
- Heat oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Check to make sure the oil is hot enough by tossing a pinch of flour into the pan. If the flour sizzles, the oil is ready.
- Fry fennel slices until golden brown on each side, about 30 seconds per side, working in batches so as not to crowd pan. Drain on paper towels; season with salt. Serve hot.