We source local, mostly Virginia grown foods and artisan products that are hand-raised or crafted. The furthest we travel regularly to farms and food producers is 168.27 miles to Bolar, VA for maple syrup and the closest is our back yard. Occasionally we venture out of state (NC kiwi in winter, butter beans in the summer, and from time to time we may get something from Maryland) but we do stay within our local food shed (BTW “local”, as defined by the USDA, is within 400 miles). Our meats, dairy, poultry and eggs are hand-raised, pastured, raised without hormones or antibiotics. Some of our is USDA Certified Organic or Certified Naturally Grown, some of it is “organically minded” but uncertified, bio-intensive and occasionally bio-dynamic, low-spray or conventional. Some of our farmers use integrative pest management and other natural methods to battle pests, mold, fungus. We post our farmer’s growing practices.
If you have more questions about the food we sell, our farmers or vendors, please ask us.
We are always looking for someone to ride “shotgun” on our trips to the farms, volunteer at the market or Urban Farm, or help out on our CSA drops, so if you are interested in learning about where our food comes from, let us know.
What’s in Season
Here is a great seasonal chart for Virginia (PDF) from the Virginia Department of Agriculture.
What We Carry
Below is a list of all of our farmers and vendors along with their websites or social media page (if available) and a brief description of their farming practice and/or certifications. We work very closely with our farmers and have gotten to know them and their farms well. If you require more information on our farmers, vendors and their products, just ask us. Please know that ALL of our farmers are available to answer any of your questions that we can’t, and all also welcome visitors, if you call ahead and schedule a visit.
Grass-fed Meats and Pastured Dairy (milk, yogurt, cheese, eggs, butter) – All of our meat, dairy + eggs are considered to be beyond organic, with no hormones, antibiotics and raised by hand.
Special order meats are available upon request.
- Polyface Farms – Swope, VA – hen eggs, chicken, beef, pork
- Mt Vernon Farms – Sperryville, VA – beef, lamb + pork
- Prospect Farm - Cumberland, VA – beef
- Edmond’s Farm – Lancaster, VA – bison + pork, hen eggs (soy free)
- Mt. View Farm – Fairfield, VA – “meow” pet milk, raw cheese (aged 60 days), cultured butter, ice cream
- Eberly Farms – Harrisonburg, VA – raw cheese (aged 60 days)
- Goats r Us – Blackstone, VA – pasteurized goat cheese + goat meat
- Old Church Creamery -Manquin, VA – pasteurized Jersey milk, cheese, yogurt, Greek yogurt, kefir, kefir cheese – beyond organic, no hormones or antibiotics
- Green Fence Farm – Greenville, VA – Rabbit, pork, chicken
- Pampatike Organic Farm - King William, VA – eggs, vegetables, honey
- Promise Land Pastures – Mechanicsvile, VA – poultry, eggs, rabbit, beef
- Tuckahoe Lamb and Cattle Company – Cartersville, VA – rabbit, beef, lamb, pork, yarn
- Sausage Craft – Richmond, VA – artisanal, fresh made sausage
- Sky View Acres – Pastured poultry + eggs, rabbit, grass-fed beef
- Virginia Trout Company - trout
- Shenandoah Family Farms Co-op – Dayton, VA – certified USDA organic free range duck eggs
- Fresh culinary herbs, BusFarm; Flores Farm, Hague, VA
- Mushrooms – Shiitake and oyster – AM Fog – Afton Mountain, VA – organically minded
- Peanuts – Virginia Peanut Company Franklin, VA in the shell, and in cans, conventional
- Plants and seeds- (seedlings are F2F greenhouse grown) Southern Exposure Seeds
- Radishes- Flores Farm, Hague, VA- Low Spray
- Tomatoes – Hothouse- Yoder’s Farm, Shenandoah Valley
- Squash (yellow, acorn, spaghetti, butternut) – Flores Farm, Hague, VA- Low Spray, SVPAProduce Auction
- Potatoes- Sam Kirby, Hanover, VA
- Sweet Potatoes – Sam Kirby, Hanover, VA
- Onions (red, white, yellow)- SVPA Produce Auction
- Kale, Creasy Greens, collards, spinach – Sam Kirby, Hanover, VA; Flores Farm, Hague VA
- Greens such as chard, kale – Pampatike Organic Farm, King William, VA
- Cabbage – Flores Farm, Hague VA
- Broccoli, Cauliflower
- carrots – Flores Farm, Hague VA
- Apples – Saunders Brothers, Piney River, VA Integrative Pest Management
ORGANIC, BUT NOT LOCAL
Our neighborhood has requested more diversity, particularly for juicing, so we have brought in organic, but not local items to round out our offerings.
- additional salad greens
- Twin Oaks Tofu - Louisa, VA – Tempeh & Soy Sausage – organic, non-gmo
- AnnaB Gluten-Free – Richmond, VA – vegan, gluten free cookies
Bread, Pantry, and Everything Else
- Tokies All Natural Baking Mixes - Richmond, VA – brownies, pancakes, GF mixes too! Virginia’s Finest.
- Anna B’s Gluten Free - Richmond, VA – bread, bagels, cookies (some vegan), pie and pizza crust – soyfree
- Thinking Of You – Richmond, VA – fudge, cookies, granola, specialty baked goodies. Virginia’s Finest.
- Prairie Grain Bread - Midlothian, VA
- Flour Garden bread – Richmond, VA – artisanal, fermented breads
- Southernmost Maple - Bolar, VA – maple syrup, candy, apple butter, Puffs BBQ sauce
- Bombolini - Richmond, VA – fresh pasta
- Wade’s Mill - Raphine, VA – baking mixes
- Dogtown Lounge and Jackson Sage - Richmond, VA – pet products
- Grand Pop’s - kettle corn, Midolthian, VA
- Jan’s Jams – Providence Forge, VA . jams and sauces. Virginia’s Finest.
- Sorghum Molasses – Dayton, VA
- Ernie’s Epic Salsas – Richmond, A – Salsa
- Clementine’s Mobile Munchies – Whole wheat + vegan + gluten-free dog treats. cupcakes too!
- Mimi’s Whole Grain – Richmond, VA - Breads, cookies, cinnamon rolls, baking mixes, flour, baby cereal – all made with whole grains. Local grains, non-GMO.
- Pungo Creek Mills – Heirloom Indian Corn Meal
Plants, Flowers and Seeds
We carry a variety of seasonal plants, starter seedlings, flowers and seeds which vary. Please stop by the bus,market or call for variety/pricing.
Bodycare, Kitchen, Crafts and Handmade Gifts – Buy Local!
Great selection of artisanal crafts, one of a kind greeting cards, jewelry, lots of baby items, hand-made skin and body care, incense, soaps, dog and cat treats and products, cleaning products and housewares including House of Lukaya, Refresh Soap Company, Prayer Monkey, Dog Town Lounge, Jackson Sage, Rural Revolution, Mac Smack, Herban Avenue, The Monkey and Me, Grow in Grace Farms, Holly Rae, Lilly Infusion, Bianca Merkley, Good Scents OCD Cleaning Products and more.
We are excited to announce that we now carry Fenugreen Fresh Paper — like a dryer sheet for your produce, this simple herbal sheet extends the life of your fruits and veggies 2 to 4 times, is reusable and works in your fridge, on your counter, in the bowl, in the carton, in the bag. Watch Kavita (the inventor’s) TEDx Manhattan talk.
We are extremely grateful to all our friends, fans, customers, volunteers, family, vendors and farmers who have been on this journey with us. Y’all are awesome!