We source local, mostly Virginia grown foods and artisan products that are hand-raised or crafted. The furthest we travel regularly to farms and food producers is 168.27 miles to Bolar, VA for maple syrup and the closest is our back yard. Occasionally we venture out of state (NC kiwi in winter, butter beans in the summer, and from time to time we may get something from Maryland) but we do stay within our local food shed (BTW “local”, as defined by the USDA, is within 400 miles). Our meats, dairy, poultry and eggs are hand-raised, pastured, raised without hormones or antibiotics. Some of our is USDA Certified Organic or Certified Naturally Grown, some of it is “organically minded” but uncertified, bio-intensive and occasionally bio-dynamic, low-spray or conventional. Some of our farmers use integrative pest management and other natural methods to battle pests, mold, fungus. We post our farmer’s growing practices.
If you have more questions about the food we sell, our farmers or vendors, please ask us.
We are always looking for someone to ride “shotgun” on our trips to the farms, volunteer at the market or Urban Farm, or help out on our USA drops, so if you are interested in learning about where our food comes from, let us know.
What’s in Season
Here is a great seasonal chart for Virginia (PDF) from the Virginia Department of Agriculture.
Below is a list of all of our farmers and vendors along with their websites or social media page (if available) and a brief description of their farming practice and/or certifications. We work very closely with our farmers and have gotten to know them and their farms well. If you require more information on our farmers, vendors and their products, just ask us. Please know that ALL of our farmers are available to answer any of your questions that we can’t, and all also welcome visitors, if you call ahead and schedule a visit.
Grass-fed Meats and Pastured Dairy (milk, yogurt, cheese, eggs, butter) – All of our meat, dairy + eggs are considered to be beyond organic, with no hormones, antibiotics and raised by hand.
Special order meats are available upon request.
- Polyface Farms – Swope, VA – hen eggs, chicken, beef, pork
- Mt Vernon Farms – Sperryville, VA – beef, lamb + pork
- Prospect Farm - Cumberland, VA – beef
- Edmond’s Farm – Lancaster, VA – bison + pork, hen eggs (soy free)
- Mt. View Farm – Fairfield, VA – “meow” pet milk, raw cheese (aged 60 days), cultured butter, ice cream
- Eberly Farms – Harrisonburg, VA – raw cheese (aged 60 days)
- Goats r Us – Blackstone, VA – pasteurized goat cheese + goat meat
- Old Church Creamery -Manquin, VA – pasteurized cheese, yogurt, Greek yogurt, kefir, kefir cheese – beyond organic, no hormones or antibiotics
- Green Fence Farm – Greenville, VA – Rabbit, pork, chicken
- Pampatike Organic Farm - King William, VA – eggs, vegetables, honey
- Promise Land Pastures – Mechanicsvile, VA – poultry, eggs, rabbit, beef
- Tuckahoe Lamb and Cattle Company – Cartersville, VA – rabbit, beef, lamb, pork, yarn
- Sausage Craft – Richmond, VA – artisanal, fresh made sausage
- Shenandoah Family Farms Co-op – Dayton, VA – certified USDA organic free range duck eggs
Produce (seasonal vegetables/fruit) – please know that much of winter season vegetables are not currently growing, but have been harvested and stored.
- Black Walnuts – Shenandoah Valley. Integrative Pest Management.
- Cabbage - Flores Farm, Hague, VA- Low Spray
- Cauliflower- Flores Farm, Hague, VA- Low Spray
- Chestnut Flour – Dunstan hybrid. Pettijohn Orchard, Raphine, VA. Integrative pest management.
- Fresh culinary herbs – Bus Farm (Farm to Family) organic/biointensive minded, Richmond, VA
- Leeks - Flores Farm, Hague, VA- Low Spray
- Mushrooms – Shiitake and oyster – AM Fog – Afton Mountain, VA – organically minded
- Peanuts – Virginia Peanut Company Franklin, VA in the shell, and in cans, conventional
- Peppers – green bell, various hot – BusFarm/Farm to Family – no spray, organic/bio-intensive minded; Flores Farm, Westmoreland County – low spray
- Plants and seeds- (seedlings are F2F greenhouse grown) Southern Exposure Seeds
- Popcorn – SVPA – low spray
- Pumpkins (heirlooms and carving, baking, cooking and more), gourds, decoratives – SVPA; Steve Gallagher, Richmond, VA
- Tomatoes – Heirloom, cherry, roma – Yoder’s Farm, Shenandoah Valley. BusFarm.
- Tomatoes – Hanover – Sam Kirby - Hanover VA – organically minded- low spray
- Winter Squash – Butternut, acorn, spaghetti – SVPA – low spray
- Apples – Honey Crisp, Gale Gala, Crimson Crisp, Fuji- Integrated Pest Management, Low Spray
- Pears – BusFarm – no spray
- Beets - Bus Farm (Farm to Family) organic/biointensive minded; Rocking F Farm, Unconventional, organically minded. Hanover VA
- Carrots - Flores Farm, Hague, VA- Low Spray
- Garlic-Pampatike Farm, King William, VA- Certified Naturally Grown
- Jerusalem Artichokes/Sunchokes - Stone House Farm, Goshen, VA – Organically minded
- Kohlrabi- Flores Farm, Hague, VA- Low Spray
- Onions – Bus Farm (Farm to Family) organic/biointensive minded, Richmond, VA; SVPA- low spray
- Potatoes – BusFarm – (Farm to Family) biointensive, Richmond, VA; Flores Farm, Hague, VA- Low Spray; Sam Kirby, Hanover, VA – Low Spray. Plantation Acres, Mineral VA. Natural/organic, not certified. Valley Farming, Clifford Rohrer, Dayton, VA – GAP certified, organically minded, not certified (crop rotation for disease purposes, Integrated Pest Management/low spray). Growing for 27 years.
- Radishes- Flores Farm, Hague, VA- Low Spray
- Rutabaga- Flores Farm, Hague, VA- Low Spray
- Sweet Potatoes – BusFarm – organically minded; SVPA – low spray; Sam Kirby, Hanover, VA- low spray
- Turnips- Sam Kirby, Hanover
- Arugula - Rain or Shine Greenhouse, Mechanicsville, VA – hydroponic
- Collards- Sam Kirby, Hanover
- Creasy Greens – Sam Kirby, Hanover
- Kale- Sam Kirby, Hanover
- Lettuce – Rain or Shine Greenhouse, Mechanicsville, VA; Mole Hill Farm, Dayton, VA; hydroponic;
- Red Kale - Bus Farm (Farm to Family) organic/biointensive minded
- Swiss Chard- Sam Kirby, Hanover
- Mixed Greens - Pampatike Farm, King William, VA- Certified Naturally Grown
- Mustard Greens – Sam Kirby, Hanover
- Watercress - Rain or Shine Greenhouse, Mechanicsville, VA – hydroponic
- Twin Oaks Tofu - Louisa, VA – Tempeh & Soy Sausage – organic, non-gmo
- AnnaB Gluten-Free – Richmond, VA – vegan, gluten free cookies
- Greenhearts Farm – Caroline County, VA – vegan chili, bbq, tamales, veggie burgers, pad thai
- RVA Vegan – Richmond, VA – cupcakes! some are GF too!
Bread, Pantry, and Everything Else
- Tokies All Natural Baking Mixes - Richmond, VA – brownies, pancakes, GF mixes too! Virginia’s Finest.
- Anna B’s Gluten Free - Richmond, VA – bread, bagels, cookies (some vegan), pie and pizza crust – soyfree
- Thinking Of You – Richmond, VA – fudge, cookies, granola, specialty baked goodies. Virginia’s Finest.
- Prairie Grain Bread - Midlothian, VA
- Downtown Desserts – Richmond, VA – World Famous Bean Pies, Desserts
- Flour Garden bread – Richmond, VA – artisanal, fermented breads
- Southernmost Maple - Bolar, VA – maple syrup, candy, apple butter, Puffs BBQ sauce
- Bombolini - Richmond, VA – fresh pasta
- Wade’s Mill - Raphine, VA – baking mixes
- Dogtown Lounge and Jackson Sage - Richmond, VA – pet products
- Green Hearts Farm - Caroline County, VA – Bangarang signature spices, vegan/GF prepared foods: Shebang Chili, BBQ, Falafel + tamales, and artisanal lollies
- Grand Pop’s - kettle corn, Midolthian, VA
- Jan’s Jams – Providence Forge, VA . jams and sauces. Virginia’s Finest.
- Sorghum Molasses – Dayton, VA
- Ernie’s Epic Salsas – Richmond, A – Salsa
- Sweet Bella Bakery – Dye-free/soy free cookies
- Clementine’s Mobile Munchies – Whole wheat + vegan + gluten-free dog treats. cupcakes too!
- Farm to Family – House-made sour dough english muffins
- Copper Pot Food Company – Ashburn, VA – pasta sauces, jams
- Millcroft Farms Co – Stanley, VA – hot sauce
- Mimi’s Whole Grain – Richmond, VA - Breads, cookies, cinnamon rolls, baking mixes, flour, baby cereal – all made with whole grains. Local grains, non-GMO.
- RVA Vegan - Richmond, VA – cupcakes! some are GF too!
Plants, Flowers and Seeds
We carry a variety of seasonal plants, starter seedlings, flowers and seeds which vary. Please stop by the bus,market or call for variety/pricing.
Bodycare, Kitchen, Crafts and Handmade Gifts – Buy Local!
Great selection of artisanal crafts, one of a kind greeting cards, jewelry, lots of baby items, hand-made skin and body care, incense, soaps, dog and cat treats and products, cleaning products and housewares including House of Lukaya, Refresh Soap Company, Prayer Monkey, Dog Town Lounge, Jackson Sage, Rural Revolution, Mac Smack, Herban Avenue, The Monkey and Me, Grow in Grace Farms, Holly Rae, Lilly Infusion, Bianca Merkley, Good Scents OCD Cleaning Products and more.
We are excited to announce that we now carry Fenugreen Fresh Paper — like a dryer sheet for your produce, this simple herbal sheet extends the life of your fruits and veggies 2 to 4 times, is reusable and works in your fridge, on your counter, in the bowl, in the carton, in the bag. Watch Kavita (the inventor’s) TEDx Manhattan talk.
We are extremely grateful to all our friends, fans, customers, volunteers, family, vendors and farmers who have been on this journey with us. Y’all are awesome!