Hi members, We are so excited to start our Fall CSA next week. Below is a preview for what’s in the share this week. Remember this is what we think you will get, it may switch around, and I will post any changes on our Facebook page.
Polyface turkeys – Its time to reserve your turkey for the holidays. Turkeys are $5.75/lb and are available in 12-14 lbs, 14-16 lbs, 16-18 lbs and 18-22 lbs. You can order your turkey and pay $20 deposit thru your dashboards. After ordering,email what size range you want, and if you want it Thanksgiving week or before the winter holidays, and we will do our best to match you up. Balance will be due upon delivery (we will email you with balance due amount.) I will also have other holiday meats available: pork, lamb, beef and bison roasts/lamb/leg etc. We can also get oysters/clams. Email me with your interest.
Let me know if you have questions or concerns.
- watermelon radish – These are so pretty! watermelon radishes are an heirloom variety of the daikon radish. Packing vitamin C, fiber and potassium, watermelon radishes infuse any boring green salad with their hot pink hue. Here are some recipes.
- swiss chard – make sure to use the stems. Make a frittata. Make lasagna. Make vegan lemony swiss chard with quinoa, fried capers and olives. Make veggie cakes with saffron and ricotta,
- bibb lettuce – great for salad, and perfect for wraps.
- English cucumbers
- red beets – balsamic barbecue beets
- green bell peppers – vegan quinoa stuffed peppers
- red russian kale – sauteed kale with smoked paprika
- potatoes – warm potato salad with goat cheese
- zucchini – baked parmesan zucchini
- yellow squash – make spicy bread and butter pickles – a small batch makes some for you, and some for a friend.
- cherry tomatoes – put them into your salad, or eat them as a snack
- green beans – cranberry hazelnut green bean salad
- piney river gold apples – yum!
- Magness pears – pear and apple galette.
- honey crisp apples
- Crispin pears
2 bison steaks – Here’s a primer on how to cook grass-fed primer – read this before you cook it, especially if you haven’t cooked grass-fed bison before. Make balsamic and herb bison steak salad.
Bread – Prairie Grain (assorted) – grilled tomato, basil and goat cheese sandwiches
Cheese – hard aged Goat – double goat cheese salad with tomatoes and cukes- you’ll need soft goat cheese also (or just omit), so if in DC, visit Mr Peachy, our Amish farmer friend down the Farmer line at Eastern Market.
Yogurt – How to make Greek style. Here’s a video on how easy it is. I usually line a strainer with a clean tea towel, put it in a saucepan and put the lid on it. You can strain it for a long time, and make yogurt cheese, which you can use in place of cream cheese. Use your left over whey in smoothies, or to ferment veggies with. Pets love it. It is also great to cook with yogurt – I use it to replace sour cream and ricotta cheese in my recipes.