2013 Spring/Summer CSA Farm Shares are available for chefs, restaurants, food trucks and caterers in the Richmond and Washington, DC areas.Our program runs for 24 weeks and begins on Wednesday, April 10th with weekly/bi-weekly shares available. This share is perfect for kitchens who are committed to local, Farm to Table operations, or for those who are looking to integrate more local items into their menu. Local items are perfect for daily specials. Shares will change every time depending on what is available and seasonal. See our Chef Shares page for in-depth info on our professional CSA program.
What might you get in your share? Download this seasonal chart from the Virginia Department of Agriculture to see what is typical. Please note that this chart is by no means inclusive, doesn’t account for Mother Nature and doesn’t include available items grown in hoophouses or greenhouses which may transcend the typical mid-Atlantic growing season (salad greens, sprouts, tomatoes, herbs, greens, mushrooms, cucumbers etc.)
Please support our local farmers and Farm to Family. Together we can make positive changes to our food system, create local resiliency, educate our youth, create jobs and eat healthier. A portion of our Chef CSA sales will be donated to our NPO BUSFARM and urban farm project, and opportunities for you to get involved by do cooking demos/videos, sharing recipes and participating in other educational activities will be available. Thanks for your support!
JOIN NOW! Download DC CHEFS Spring 2013 CSA Brochure.
SEASONAL PRODUCE – Vegetables and fruit items are a mix from local farms using organic or natural farming methods (low spray, integrative pest control, etc). Your CHEF CSA shares will be comprised of seasonal vegetables and fruits. Farmers that we work with and items that are currently in season are here. If you would like more of a particular item that week let us know a week in advance please i.e. flats of tomatoes or raspberries, boxes of greens etc. We are happy to do special orders; other wise we will give you a good variety of everything that is local and seasonal. We will do our best to source for you whatever it is you are looking for. Shares are available in Small, Medium and Large to suit your needs, and we allow flexibility in your share.
MEAT – grass-fed, pastured meats- chicken, beef, pork, bison, lamb, goat, oysters/clams, trout and more. All meat is humanely raised on small farms without the use of hormones or antibiotics.
DAIRY – whole milk, cream, raw cheeses, goat chevre, yogurt (plain, Greek or kefir), cultured butter and pastured eggs.
SOY– tofu, tempeh, vegan sausage.
GLUTEN FREE/VEGAN – breads, bagels, cupcakes, cookies, pie-crusts, pizza crusts, baking mixes and other items are available, pre-ordered.
PANTRY STAPLES – Many other local A la Carte pantry staples are also available upon request – jams, honey, maple syrup, sorghum molasses, spice blends, wheat berries, flours, corn meal, baking mixes and more.
Questions? Just call Mark at 804-397-7337 or email chefshares (@) thefarmbus (dot) com
We are now accepting applications for the Spring/Summer CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) Farm Shares in Richmond, VA, Washington, DC (Capitol Hill at Eastern Market/NW at Maret School) and surrounding areas to start the 2nd week of April running 24 weeks (6 months) through September.
Our CSA Farm Share program is a versatile, flexible program that includes locally produced food options, payment plans, and open enrollment/pro-rated join-anytime membership. Bi-weekly/weekly frequency will vary with location site and interest. Check out our dropsites on this map which include metro DC, Richmond, NoVa, Northern Neck, New Kent, Chesterfield and more. Note that not all sites are confirmed, as we need 10 members per site to make it work, so let us know your interest/commitment ASAP! For more info on our CSA Farm Shares, to download an application and join, visit our CSA page.
We work with notable farms/producers like Polyface Farms, Mt Vernon Farms, Prospect Farm, Edmond’s Farm, Mt. View Farm, Goats r Us, Old Church Creamery, Green Fence Farm, Pampatike Organic Farm, Promise Land Pastures, Tuckahoe Lamb and Cattle Company, Sausage Craft, Agriberry and Twin Oaks along with our own non-profit urban farm and agricultural educational center, BusFarm. Your CSA farm share directly supports BusFarm. See BusFarm in action!
We are EBT, vegan, gluten-free, paleo, WAPF and food allergy friendly. We offer payment plans. Got an issue? Ask us and we’ll see if we can accommodate you! We donate missed pickups (without prior arrangements) to needy families. You can also sponsor a family for one time, or the whole season. Contact us for info on being a sponsor.
- Seasonal produce – locally grown on small farms with no to minimum sprays, pesticides. Some of our farms have organic certifications, but others choose to grow with organic methods, without certification.
- Grass-fed/pastured meats like beef, pork, bison, trout, oysters/clams, lamb, sausage, chicken. No hormones, antibiotics and we work with small, humane family farms.
- Grass-fed dairy with milk, butter, yogurt, cheeses from Mountain View, Goats R Us, Old Church Creamery. No hormones, antibiotics and we work with small, humane family farms.
- Package — Fondly called “The Whole SheBang” by our long-time members, this includes produce, meat, dairy (including eggs) and bread. Purchase and pre-pay the package, and receive a discount.
- Bread/Gluten Free Bread
- Dog Treats
- Body Care
- a la carte items like honey, jam, baked goods, and more are available
Want to see what you might get in your share? Check out these pictures!
Get Involved/Earn Free Food — Be a Drop Site
Want to get involved and earn free food by hosting a drop-site at your home, worksite, church or community center? Contact us for more info. Recruit friends, family, neighbors, church members and co-workers to make it happen. Create community! Eat fresh, local, healthy food!
BE HAPPY! EAT LOCAL!
For more info on our CSA Farm Shares, or to download an application and join, visit our CSA page.
We are now accepting members for our bi-weekly Fall/Winter USA Farm Share programs in Richmond, VA and in Washington, DC which starts Tuesday, October 16, 2012 on Capitol Hill, Wednesday October 17 in NW DC at the Maret School, and Thursday, October 18 in Richmond, VA.
- Our USA Farm Shares are a flexible program that include options of seasonal, local fruits/vegetables, grass-fed/pastured meats, grass-fed dairy and add-ons of eggs, bread, soyfoods, pet treats, coffee, pizza/pasta and bodycare (soaps, lotions and potions). Everything in our shares is locally sourced. Your USA Farm Share membership supports our non-profit urban farm, BusFarm and other local farms and artisanal food makers.
You can download our Fall/Winter 2012-13 applications here:
- NW DC – NW DC – Maret School, 3000 Cathedral Ave NW, 20008 (lower parking lot) Wed. 3-7 pm – UPDATED!
- Capitol Hill – Eastern Market, Farmer’s Line, 225 7th St, NE, Washington DC 20003. Tues. 3-7pm
- Richmond – Farm to Family Market, 2817 Mechanicsville Turnpike Turnpike. Richmond, VA 23223. Wed. 11 am (pickup can be any day, but we suggest Wed. or Thurs. to insure freshness of your share). Corporate shares are available for groups of 25 or more. Please email email@example.com call 804-767-8570 for more info.