DC Farmers Markets – We’re back!!! Peaches, nectarines, Okra, blackberries, watermelon, shiitakes and more!
|Mark has some truly inspired local goods for you this week! Our Thursday Market is still on hold, please visit our other Markets: Tuesday – Eastern Market, 225 7th Street SE 4-7pm, Wednesday – Patriots Plaza, 315 E Street, SW 11-6:30 pm. If you have questions regarding the markets, please call or text Mark at 804-397-7337.The summer season is winding down, and after this week only have 2 CSA shares for our biweeklies, and 4 more shares for our weeklies, ending the season the last week of September. We will start up again in October, date TBD. Please watch for info on the Fall season, coming soon! Please tell your friends about us, if you loved us! If they sign up, you get a $25 referral bonus! If you have enjoyed our items this summer, please consider becoming a CSA member and get the goodness regularly!
2 for 1 BOGO Twin Oaks soy special (except tempeh) going on this week and next. We over ordered, so bargain time for you on this USDA organic/GMO free soy goodies — the best we’ve ever had. Buy one tofu or vegan sausage, and get another free! Tofu: plain, fine herb, italian; Vegan Sausage: Breakfast and Chorizo style. Stock up: Tofu and vegan sausage freeze well, ,and impart a chewier, denser texture which is well suited for many dishes.
MILK – This will be the first week for the Farm Friend milk from Trickling Springs and we will work them until Old Church Creamery gets back in production in the Fall. Farm Friend is labeled “natural” and supports grass-fed dairies transitioning to certified organic status or farms committed to a very strict set of standards. The milk comes from Twin Oaks Farm (not to be confused with the tofu) and they are in the process of taking their herd organic. You can read more about the Farm Friend brand, processing, values and farms they work with. We really love their products and they have been amazing to work with during our need for quick transition.
- shiitake mushrooms
- small watermelons
- swiss chard
- okra !!! we love this roasted in the oven! so easy and good. Kid friendly.
- summer squash
- beets (don’t forget to eat the greens, cook like chard)
- roma tomatoes
- cherry tomatoes
- lemon basil – great with tomatoes peaches or make pesto!
- pears — oooh yum. fall is coming!
- blackberries – probably the last time we see these. But raspberries may be back.
- peaches – how good have these been!!
- nectarines – how good have THESE been!
- pears – yum!
We’re Hiring for a Farmer’s Market Assistant + Interns
Farm to Family, based in Richmond, VA, has an immediate part time JOB opening for Farmer’s Market Associate/Customer Service for our well-established pop-up markets + CSA on Capitol Hill, Washington, DC. Interships also available.
Schedule is currently Tuesday 2-7pm; Wed 9-7pm, Thursday 10-7pm (25-30 hrs/wk). $12/hr to start based on experience – advancement opportunities exist to grow with our company.
Job duties include but not limited to:
. Market management including customer service and sales, staffing, forecasting, reports
· Educating and interacting with community members at CSA pick-ups, farmers markets, and more.
· Marketing experience including social media and events
· Must be able to do heavy lifting
· Setup, breakdown of farmer’s markets
· Assist with CSA delivery
Skillset and Experience:
· Experience with retail, CSA model as well as farmers markets a+ including inventory management, ordering, interaction with farmers and vendors.
. Excel, Microsoft word, Square, Powerpoint, graphic design a plus.
· Excellent customer service skills required
· High level of responsibility reliability, motivation, passion about local food and a willingness to learn required
· Ability to work effectively and cooperatively with staff = Required
· Must be able to do heavy lifting – Required
· Clean driver’s license/ability to drive a box truck a +
This is a year-round position for someone who is enthusiastic about growing the CSA and Farmer’s Market experience with us.
For more info about us: www.thefarmbus.com
Please forward resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 804-397-7337