Welcome to Week 2 of our CSA! This will be the first pickup for our 7th/G Capitol Hill, DC Home Delivery, Farm to Family biweekly, and some of you at Eastern Market. This is week 2 for our Eastern Market and Farm to Family weeklies. Remember you can check your calendar to see when your share is expected by logging into your member dashboard. If you have questions or difficulties on how to do that, let me know.
Polyface turkeys – It’s time to reserve your turkey for the holidays. Turkeys are $5.75/lb and are available in 12-14 lbs, 14-16 lbs, 16-18 lbs and 18-22 lbs. You can order your turkey and pay $20 deposit thru your dashboards. After ordering, email with TURKEY in the subject and let me know what size range you want, and if you want it Thanksgiving week or before the winter holidays, and we will do our best to match you up. Balance will be due upon delivery (we will email you with balance due amount.) I will also have other holiday meats available: pork, lamb, beef and bison roasts/lamb/leg etc. We can also get oysters/clams. Email me with your interest – HOLIDAY MEATS in subject.
- green onions
- purple radishes – purple radish salad with cool cilantro honey dressing
- spicy mix
- green peppers
- poblano peppers – grilled stuffed poblanos with bell pepper salsa – try the bacon sausage for this
- kale – garlicky grilled kale salad with grilled bread
- napa cabbage – roasted napa cabbage with garlic, napa cabbage salad/Food + Wine ,
- swiss chard – sauteed swiss chard with onions, don’t forget to eat your stems!add them to your recipe, or pickle them!
- chioga beets – These are so pretty! chioggia beets with raspberry mint vinaigrette
- spinach – caesar spinach pizza in an hour! Batsaria – Phylo-less Spanakopita
- bibb lettuce – spinach and bibb lettuce salad with apples
- sweet potatoes – sweet potato curry with spinach and chick peas
- fuji apples – napa cabbage and apple slaw, fuji apple spice cake
- raspberries – if available
- yellow/zucchini squash – skillet bacon zucchini cornbread with buttermilk
- raspberries – if available
Bread – Prairie Grain
Cheese – Mix from the same dairy as milk and butter
- Ground Bison – how to cook grass fed bison, Here’s a few recipes to try! Don’t use too many condiments, you want to be able to taste the bison.
- Bacon Sausage – so baconey! – this is great just cooked or grilled with a few great sides. Use like you would sausage, or bacon!
- Cubed stew beef – pressure cooker/Instant Pot Vietnamese Bo Kho/beef stew (Nom Nom Paleo)
Yogurt – How to make Greek style, if you prefer a thicker style. Otherwise, its wonderful just as is. You can add fruit, honey, maple syrup or jam to sweeten. Here’s a video on how easy it is. I usually line a strainer with a clean tea towel, put it in a saucepan and put the lid on it. You can strain it for a long time, and make yogurt cheese, which you can use in place of cream cheese. Use your left over whey in smoothies, or to ferment veggies with. Pets love it. It is also great to cook with yogurt – I use it to replace sour cream and ricotta cheese in my recipes.